Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Catching Up

Sorry for not posting anything lately. I've just finished a 4-day project working for the local newspapers and they've been long tedious, tiring days and I haven't had much energy at the end of them. That being said, I'm grateful for the work that the Lord provided. I was tasked with recreating old front pages of the paper for the 100th anniversary issue which is coming out next week. It was a bit tricky because some of the papers I scanned were almost 100 years old, so the paper was pretty fragile. So for 4 days, I was sitting at a desk scanning papers, reassembling the pieces in Photoshop, adjusting the brightness/contrast and then finally laying them out in InDesign. It took 3 1/2 days to finish 22 covers or so. The last afternoon, I helped with scanning old advertisements to help fill up the empty spots on the current page template the paper is using.

So it was a good experience for me, and a foot in the door at the very least. Now the publisher there knows what I can do and has expressed a willingness to get in touch with me again should more special projects arise. The other benefit to having done this work is that as a part of my remuneration package, I'm getting a modest advertising credit so that I can run some ads for my business. I've got an appointment with the publisher next week to go over their rate card. Here's a picture Bonnie took yesterday afternoon when she came in to visit. And yes, I know I have bad posture...



Early yesterday morning I took Isaac to Dad's place in Telkwa -- after the requisite breakfast at Tim Hortons :-) -- as I had to work and Bonnie needed to sleep (she just finished a night-shift (10pm to 6am). I was hoping Isaac would have a fun day with Papa Jim. At the end of the day, I asked Isaac what was his favorite part of the whole day, and he replied, "every part", so I knew that everything must have been OK.

On a lighter note, here's what Bonnie had for dessert yesterday evening after supper. She was on the phone talking with a friend from Ontario, and I had some fun with her peach and some toothpicks.



In business news, I've got a wedding rehearsal to attend tomorrow night and then the wedding itself to shoot on Saturday. I'm also in negotiations with a couple from Whitehorse who are getting married in Telkwa next May. The bride-to-be was referred to me by a local web design company that I have some association with. So hopefully if everything works out, I'll be able to book that wedding shortly. I've submitted my quote and answered a bunch of her questions, so the ball is in her court. I'm anticipating an answer soon.

I'm also making final decisions on a newsletter I'm going to be sending out soon. I just have to finalize the mailing list and then I'll be sending it out. Hopefully this, in conjunction with the advertising I'll get with The Interior News, will help to promote my business a little more than I've been able to at this point.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Curtis, that's great you got to work at the paper! I've always thought it would be fun to work at a paper...maybe too many Superman reruns. :) I'm sure you did a great job on the project too.

    I am going to link to your blog from my blog, hope that's okay.

    andrew

    ReplyDelete