Saturday, August 4, 2007

A busy day


7:20 am: This is how the deck looked when we started work this morning.

8:36 am: My dad putting in some mortar mix where the old stairs used to cut into the stucco on the wall of the house.

12:37 pm: The stringers are in place and Russ is attaching the decking to the joists.

7:00 pm: The treads are attached to the stringers and the hand rails are in place.

7:17 pm: I am on the surface of the deck working on completing the task of attaching the decking to the joists.

8:22 pm: I'm measuring the spindles that will eventually go on the hand rails.
*****************************
We could have worked a few more hours to finish, but in fairness to our neighbours we decided to call it a night at 10 pm. I'll have more pictures tomorrow to give you an idea of what the project looks like. It's almost done. Just a few more pieces to attach and then the work is over. I will have the spindles to attach after Vern and Russ are gone, but the work that they need to be here for will be completed tomorrow.
*****************************
Another part of my busy day was the wedding I was the photographer for. I left the house around 1:30 and got back just after 5:00. It was a beautiful day and the sun was really shining. I would have preferred it to be a little more cloudy to prevent shadows on faces, but all in all I think it was OK. The ceremony was at the Anglican church here in town, and after driving up and down main street a little, we headed out to the golf and country club for the formals.

As much as it was a good experience (not to mention I'm getting paid for it), I was anxious to get back and help out with the deck. Hopefully it won't take too long tomorrow to finish. I think we're going sightseeing for a while in the morning, and then we plan on finishing the little we have left to do on the deck before our guests arrive. We're having an open house/house-warming tomorrow afternoon for the few people we know (and that are available). Then tomorrow night my Dad will take Vern, Edna and Russ around on a little more extended sight-seeing tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment