Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Advice needed on replacing a countertop

I've had to replace the sink in our ensuite, and since I've got the old sink out I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and replace the countertop while I'm at it. It's something we've wanted to do since we moved in, but it's never been a huge priority until now.

I tried just putting a new sink in, but the hole in the existing countertop is a bit odd, and the new ceramic sink (the old sink was metal...and very rusty under the taps by the way) just doesn't fit right. So that's what really got me thinking about redoing the countertop.

The problem is that I have absolutely ZERO idea on how to go about doing it properly. I mean I certainly could take an axe and get things going, but I'd like my walls to be in somewhat decent shape after I'm done. (That's a poor joke by the way).


The images below should give an idea of what I have to work with. Any / all good ideas will be most graciously accepted.

EXISTING COUNTERTOP


INSIDE BACK


INSIDE FRONT


INSIDE LEFT


INSIDE RIGHT


1 comment:

  1. Curtis, did you know that I work at Columbia Countertops!??!

    It looks like you have a regular vanity top with a 6" medical splash around it. The countertop is probably screwed down from below, but it's hard to tell--it might be glued down. I advise a hammer and chisel if you can't unscrew it.

    The splash is trickier, it is almost certainly affixed with silicone to the wall and will make a big mess when you use your axe (or chisel) to pry it off. You will need to replace it with a higher medical splash (ie 7").

    If there are any countertop places around Smithers you can ask to look at their 'seconds' (stuff they can't use) and choose a color you like from there. Measure the width of the old one and ask them to cut it to size. Specify that you need medical splash out of the same material, 3 sides.

    Install it by screwing it in from the bottom. After it is screwed in you can cut a hole with a jigsaw for the sink. The splashes are applied with silicone and hot melt glue to hold them in place while the silicone dries. Or you could make some sort of clamp-jig.

    If you're really stuck I can make you a multi-coloured one out of solid surface (it would look like a checkerboard because it's all scrap material) but it would be really nice otherwise. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete