Saturday, July 18, 2009

Our afternoon adventure

This morning I suggested that we take a little trip and explore our surroundings. Basically, I wanted to see something new. There's so much beauty around here, and we so seldom have a chance to check it out together. The guys wanted to know where I wanted to go (specifically), but I couldn't tell them, as I didn't have a particular destination in mind. I just wanted to explore.

Thankfully, they decided to humour me, and so we packed a picnic lunch and headed out. Just before we left, the sky opened up and let go a deluge of rain, which set a pattern for the afternoon's weather. The rain would come down for a bit, then the sun would come out, to be followed by more rain, then some sun again. I decided not to let that dampen my spirits, though. Well, maybe a little.

As it was my idea for the adventure, I got to drive. I admit there were a couple of times I wondered if we should turn back - who wants to eat their picnic lunch in the pouring rain? But we persevered. I drove as far as Moricetown Canyon, where Curtis had been earlier to take some photos, then crossed the bridge. We ended up eating our lunch in the van a few kilometers later, having pulled off the road, then continued our journey down the Telkwa High Road. Our next stop was next to another bridge, as Curtis wanted to take some photos of the creek underneath it. While he was busy, Isaac and I walked along the road a bit, and discovered some wild strawberries. We went back to the van for a Tupperware container to put them in, then proceeded to pick some more. We even discovered some wild raspberries. Yum. They were bigger than the ones in my garden! After exploring a little more, we decided we were wet enough, and headed for home.

Below are some photos of our 'adventure'.


Isaac enjoying his pizza and chicken.


One shot of the creek.


Here we are among the wild strawberries.


Some of our 'harvest'


A mushroom we found (and left) along the trail.


A view from the Telkwa High Road towards the mountains behind Smithers. We thought we could see Twin Falls, one of the places we like to take visitors to.

No comments:

Post a Comment