Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Call For Recipes

As some may know I've had health issues for the past couple of years, dealing with stomach cramps and fatigue. To make a long story short, I've recently started going to the local Naturopath here in Smithers. Last month I gave some blood for some allergy tests and the results I got last week were informative to say the least. Many of the things I've been eating over the last 1 1/2 years (since my last Abbotsford Naturopath appointment) I found out I'm significantly allergic to.

So now I'm trying to find recipes for the food that I can eat. Which leads me to this post. I'd like to list the major things I'm allergic to and then ask you for your help. If you have any recipes that use foods I can eat (mostly for baking items but not necessarily limited to them), please let me know. Thanks. Now on to the main items on the list:

Significantly Allergic To:
  • Dairy: cheese, milk, butter, ice-cream, sherbet, sour cream, buttermilk etc.
  • Beef
  • Eggs (whites or yolks)
  • Gluten (I can only have kamut, oats, barley, buckwheat, 100% rye at most once every 4 days, but apart from these, no gluten)
  • Wheat
  • Almonds
  • Peanuts
Alternatives/Substitutes to the above list that I can have:
  • Some of the dairy substitutes I'm able to have are: rice milk, coconut milk juice, So-Nice Soy Beverage)
  • Some of the grain substitutes for wheat I'm able to have are: rice, rice flour, rice pasta, rice noodles, millet, amaranth, teff, quinoa, quinoa pasta.
  • For Baking: rice flour with non-aluminum baking powder or baking soda added to it. Thickening Agents: potato flour, arrowroot
  • Corn Products: corn flour, corn germ, cornmeal, corn tortillas, cornstarch, corn syrup, popcorn, corn pasta
This is not easy at all for me to deal with, so for those who've had to deal with these things, whatever advice you have as far as coping strategies, and of course, recipes, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

5 comments:

  1. Try this one if you like curry

    Sweet Potato Chickpea

    1 tbsp. vegetable oil
    2 onions, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    4 tsp. minced gingerroot
    4 tsp. mild curry paste or powder
    1/4 tsp. salt
    2 tbsp. all-purpose flour or spelt flour
    2 tomatoes, diced
    2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
    1 can chickpeas (540 ml), rinsed and drained
    2.5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
    1 pkg fresh spinach, trimmed and coarsely chopped
    1/3 cup chopped fresh coriander (optional)

    - In large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; cook onions, garlic, ginger, curry paste and salt, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until onion is softened
    - Sprinkle with flour. Stir in diced tomatoes, cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until thickened
    - Stir in sweet potatoes, chickpeas and stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes
    - Stir in spinach; cook, covered, for about 5 minutes or until potatoes are tender and spinach is wilted. Stir in coriander (if using)

    It's easy and tasty!! We buy minced garlic and minced gingerroot in jars as we go through so much of it. It makes it a lot easier. Patak's curry paste is great, also. I have found frozen, minced sweet potato and that makes the sweet potato part simpler (although they aren't hard to get ready - while the other is simmering, you can cut them up). We've even used frozen spinach that's been thawed and drained. The fresh baby spinach works really well - less work to pull apart, wash, and trim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orzo, Lentil and Flax Soup


    butter 1/4 cup or coconut/olive oil
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    1 medium carrot, finely chopped
    1 celery stalk, finely chopped
    0.5 green pepper, finely chopped
    boiling water 5 cups
    low sodium chicken soup base 1/3 cup
    granulated garlic 2 tsp
    bay leaf 1
    Worcestershire sauce 2 tsp
    796 mL can tomatoes with herbs and spices; break up tomatoes 28 oz
    orzo pasta or any small soup pasta 1/3 cup -- can use rice pasta
    dried lentils, rinsed 1/3 cup
    granulated sugar 1 tsp
    flax seed 1/3 cup

    In a large pot, over medium to medium-low heat, melt butter.
    Add onion, carrot, celery and green pepper. Gently sauté over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Add boiling water, soup base, granulated garlic, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce, tomatoes with juice, orzo and lentils. Stir.
    Slowly simmer for 1 hour with lid ajar, stirring occasionally until lentils are soft.
    Add sugar and flax seed. Stir and serve.
    Yield: 10 servings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine that you have been googling for recipe ideas, but in case you didn't see this one:
    www.glutenfreeclub.com
    I didn't actually sign in, but it looked like it could have some info for you to check out. I hope it helps. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom can't have gluten and I think she uses spelt flour for baking buns in her bread machine.

    From The Makers Diet I found this one tasty:

    tuna salad:
    1 can tuna (ie. chunk in water)
    1 stick chopped celery
    a spoonful of real mayo and a spoonful of relish
    mix 'er up and you're ready to go.

    if you haven't read the above mentioned book I'd be glad to send it to you.

    grapefruit is good for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Curtis; it's good to hear that you've finally got a diagnosis.

    We have a friend that has life threatening food allergies that we have known since he was very young; wasn't expected to live past his early teens and now is in his mid-twenties. I sent your posting to him as I thought he might have some suggestions for you. I just recieved a note back saying he has emailed you at info@photistry.com; that's the only one I could find without doing a lot of research.

    I just wanted you to know that it came from me. I hope it helps.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete