Monday, November 9, 2009

Backyard Visitor


Last week I was awakened at around 3 am one morning by a sound I'd never heard before - something like a cross between a loud quack and a moan. After listening to it a few times and not being able to place it, I finally got up and looked out the bedroom window to see if I could locate the source. To my surprise, it was a young (I think) moose in our back yard, nibbling at my raspberry canes, with another moose on the other side of the fence. I puzzled for a bit as to how it got into the yard (I found out later they do jump), and wondered if we had left the gate open and it had wandered in. I tried to make my way quietly downstairs so as not to disturb my sleeping family, but was unsuccessful in that I woke Curtis. When I explained why I was up, he got his camera to try to capture a photo of our visitor. I had thought to open the gate if it was closed, so it could get out again, but decided against it. By the time I'd made my way upstairs again, it had found its own way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment